Saturday 12 February 2011

Past Paper Question (:



First Language English
Paper 3
May/June 2005

A song or a piece of music comes on the radio. Immediately the tune reminds you of a particularly happy or sad occasion. Describe in detail the scene you remember (real or imaginary) and your feelings at the time.

An abyss of happiness overcame my emotions. My breathing heart no longer felt shattered. It was a year ago and we were sitting on the cold, soft and welcoming sand. All we had was the presence of one another, the breeze invited my hair to dance along to this song. I sat with my knees folded against my chest, trying to protect myself from the harsh yet gratifying cold morning. The sky was painted with an orgy of pink, purple and blue. It was as though God decided to transform the black canvas into a breathtaking masterpiece. My trembling lips couldn't help but be curved into a permanent grin. 

The warmth of his soft hand tangled in mine created a sensation I would never allow myself to forget. The butterflies in my stomach were set free to fly everywhere and my skin felt prickly and hot. He stared at me with his deep dark brown eyes and the newborn sun was giving him a magical glow. My vacant mind was oblivious to my surroundings, my world at that moment consisted of nothing but him. My eyes were wide open and I forced myself not to blink as I didn't want this moment to be wasted with my eyelids blanketing my eyes. He was the only thing I could allow my mind to ponder on. 


My heart racing as fast as the waves are crashing on the rocks, creating a rain of crystals. As the newborn sun hits the crystals the rainbows fill up the spaces between them. Our surrounding couldn't be more perfect. If perfection was an image, this would be it. The simple action of brushing a lock of hair from my soft, clean, vacant face sends chills down my spine. A good kind of chill. A chill that leaves a haunting warmth. A chill that's responsible for my two pink cheeks and racing heartbeat. 


The only word that could be used to describe this faded memory would be,contentment. Tears would start climbing its way out and slide themselves down my hill-like cheeks. The tears of joy. I wonder how I managed to get to a stage where I am truly happy. How perfection decided to choose me. What did I do right? I remember those thoughts swimming in mind when I was sitting on that harsh, cold, comfortable sand, with his warmth pouring onto me. As the song continues to play, my mind continues to revisit that same memory, filling me with nothing less then pleasure. 

1 comment:

  1. Some great writing skills there Eliqa :) keep it up (Y)

    ReplyDelete