Sunday 28 November 2010

Athletics Meet.


Yesterday I attended the 18th Annual Athletic Meet held by Our Own English High School, Dubai. 
If you haven't been to one, you are definitely missing out on one of the most exciting events that could ever be held by any school. It was held at the Police Stadium opposite Wafi Mall.
Hundreds of students gather on the lush green field and open the day with a marching ceremony along with reciting the athletic oath. To be honest, it was very grand.

Then the events start. I took part in the shot put, so they called the numbers along with mine and asked for us to head to the far left corner of the field where the event will be taking place. The super seniors were the first to compete. There were about 20+ students that were participating.

The first girl who threw the ball stepped into the circled area and prepared to throw. I was trying my best to practice since she looked very threatening. She was tall and large and she had won gold last year. It was nice knowing some of the participants from last year, I was familiar with quite a number of them since I also took part in shot put last year. The first girl threw the shot put and I held my breathe while it was in mid air. When it landed 8 meters away, I felt as if there was no need to continue. I felt as though it was over. That's it I wasn't going to win. Its over. Everyone else threw an average of 6-7 meters. My first throw landed at 7.10 meters and  let me just say, I was damn happy. When the 3rd round began I was feeling quite exhilarated at the fact that I was now in the 3rd position. That was until the last girl threw. Sweat already dripping down from my temples, my breathe was at a standstill. It landed with a THUD and trust me when I say that it was far. The officials measured it and the first word that came out of her mouth was "SEVEN". I didn't want to hear anything anymore. The distance was 7.18 meters. only 0.03 meters less then what I threw. I went crazy and started yelling :D I received the bronze medal. :)

After my event was the running competitions. That was insanely exciting. I was screaming and yelling my support to such an extent that i have no lost the ability to use my voice. How awesome right? -__-"

Overall the Winchester School made it to the finals for the running competitions and I haven't been informed of the results yet. When I get the results I shall promise to share it with my fellow readers. :)

For now that's all the rambling I'm capable of doing. Hope you enjoyed ;) x

No comments:

Post a Comment